The purpose of Olympic Solidarity is to supply help to all Nationwide Olympic Committees (NOCs) for athlete growth programmes, specifically these with the best wants of it.
This help is achieved by way of multi-faceted programmes prioritising athlete growth, but additionally coaching of coaches and sports activities directors, and selling the Olympic values (Olympic constitution, rule 5).
2017-2020 Olympic Solidarity Remaining Report
The 2017-2020 Olympic Solidarity Remaining Report is out there right here. The report reveals a very powerful outcomes of the Olympic Solidarity programmes through the 2017-2020 plan, additionally summarized within the video under.
2020 Olympic Solidarity annual report
The 2020 version of the Olympic Solidarity Annual Report is out there in e-zine format right here and PDF format right here. The report reveals a very powerful outcomes of the Olympic Solidarity programmes and particulars of the varied actions taken to profit the NOCs in 2020, in addition to quite a few testimonies of athletes, NOCs, sports activities managers, and many others. and hyperlinks to quite a lot of content material.
As we speak’s sources
The event and help price range accepted by the Olympic Solidary Fee for the 2021-2024 plan quantities to USD 590,000,000, similar to the share of the printed rights from the Olympic Video games (Tokyo 2020 and Beijing 2022) which belongs to the NOCs. Olympic Solidarity redistributes these funds by way of programmes supplied to all NOCs recognised by the IOC.
- USD 258,270,000 for the World Programmes, which cowl and reinforce all areas of sports activities growth;
- USD 222,100,000 for the Continental Programmes, which meet among the particular wants of every continent;
- USD 70,500,000 for the IOC Subsidies for NOCs’ Participation in Olympic Video games and Youth Olympic Video games, which provide monetary assist to NOCs for the Video games.
For the 2017-2020 plan, Olympic Solidarity supported:.
- Over 25,000 athletes;
- Over 13,500 NOC actions, together with 3,000 scholarships for athletes, 1,600 coaching programs for coaches and sports activities directors, and a pair of,000 initiatives to advertise the Olympic values;
- 64 boards, workshops and seminars;
- 180 MEMOS scholarships;
- 8,500 coaches by way of the Growth of the Nationwide Sports activities System programme.
2021-2024 Key Priorities
In step with the IOC’s personal technique for 2021-2024, the important thing priorities of the Olympic Solidarity 2021-2024 Plan are to additional develop the NOC alternative provide and place Olympic Solidarity as the primary reference of the Olympic Motion for the event of sport. In consequence, the strategic targets of the Olympic Solidarity 2021-2024 plan are the next:
- Empower NOCs to maintain athletes on the coronary heart of the Olympic Motion
- Guarantee good governance, monetary management and compliance
- Strengthen the Olympic Motion’s solidarity funding mannequin
- Align with the IOC’s technique for the post-coronavirus world
- Allow NOCs to contribute to the promotion of the Olympic Values
- Present individualised companies to NOCs
- Measure the true affect of the Olympic Solidarity programmes and funding on the worldwide growth of sport
A protracted historical past
Olympic Solidarity was created greater than 50 years in the past as a way to help newly impartial nations, notably in Asia and Africa, to develop their very own constructions to favour the growth of sport at nationwide degree. Milestones of its wealthy historical past embrace:
1960 The IOC determined to arrange its personal help programme for the NOCs, with a selected deal with supporting a sure variety of NOCs that had been created when their nations gained independence.
1962 The Worldwide Olympic Assist Committee (IOAC) was created by IOC Member Depend Jean de Beaumont with a view to reaching this objective.
1971 The Committee for Olympic Solidarity was created when the IOAC merged with the Worldwide Institute for the Growth of NOCs, which was based in 1969 by the Everlasting Common Meeting of the NOCs.
1973 Efforts continued with the purpose of enhancing help to these NOCs in biggest want. With greater than 50 new NOCs created in nations that had only a few sources to develop sport of their territories within the 1960 and 1970, these efforts had been of utmost significance for the event of sport.
1979 The IOC granted 20% of revenues from tv rights to the NOCs on the constitutive meeting of the Affiliation of Nationwide Olympic Committees (ANOC) in Puerto Rico.
1981 The Olympic Solidarity Fee was created on the Olympic Congress in Baden-Baden by IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch and ANOC President Mario Vázquez Raña. Its mission was to serve the pursuits and meet the wants of the NOCs. It was chaired by the IOC President.
1984 Olympic Solidarity was moved to an earnings administration construction that met IOC standards, reasonably than offering a common subsidy, a transfer made doable by the rise in tv rights revenues starting with the Video games of the XXIII Olympiad in Los Angeles.
1985 The Olympic Solidarity Fee began to conduct its actions on a quadrennial plan foundation and to get pleasure from administrative independence in keeping with its capabilities, scope and construction.
2001 The present construction of Olympic Solidarity’s programmes was established by IOC President Jacques Rogge.
2018 The Olympic Solidarity Fee is now chaired by the IOC Member Robin E. Mitchell.
Function and tasks
The Olympic Solidarity Fee is liable for defining the primary plan of action and managing the actions of the Olympic Solidarity worldwide workplace in Lausanne. This workplace takes care of all operational points of the implementation of the programmes and cooperates with 5 continental places of work inside the Continental Associations, in addition to with the Affiliation of Nationwide Olympic Committees (ANOC).