Indian boxers to have three-week coaching camp overseas earlier than Olympics 2021





India’s 9 Olympic-bound boxers will journey overseas for a three-week coaching stint after getting a number of days’ break following a record-shattering medal haul by the nation’s pugilists on the just-concluded Asian Championships in Dubai.


Chatting with PTI, Indian males’s boxing’s Excessive Efficiency Director Santiago Nieva stated the boxers will attain Tokyo for the Video games, 5 to seven days earlier than the beginning of the occasion from July 23.


“We’ll go overseas for coaching. The discussions are on and the place will likely be finalised within the subsequent few days. It will likely be a three-week camp. We’ll come again to India to advantageous tune a number of issues, after which head to Tokyo five-seven days earlier than the Video games,” Nieva stated laying down the plan for the approaching days.


The whole modalities of the deliberate journey will likely be revealed after the venue is finalised. The Indian boxing staff has travelled fairly a bit up to now few months for tournaments and coaching, together with a prolonged journey to Europe.


The coaching at residence has been sporadic due to the menace posed by COVID-19.


The truth is, in April, nationwide coach C A Kuttappa had examined constructive for COVID-19 forcing him into quarantine for 10 days.


Indian boxers fetched their greatest ever medal haul of 15 on the occasion in Dubai, two greater than their earlier greatest efficiency. The medals clinched this time included two gold, 5 silver and eight bronze medals.


The one gold-winner among the many Olympic-bound was Pooja Rani (75kg), whereas M C Mary Kom (51kg) and Amit Panghal (52kg) fetched silver medals.


The lone male boxer to fetch a gold was Sanjeet (91kg), who shouldn’t be part of the Olympic group.


Vikas Krishan (69kg), Simranjit Kaur (60kg) and Lovlina Borgohain (69kg) have been among the many Olympic-bound bronze-medallists.


The others to have made the minimize for Tokyo are Manish Kaushik (63kg), Ashish Chaudhary (75kg) and Satish Kumar (+91kg). Of those, Ashish misplaced within the quarterfinals in Dubai and Manish and Satish couldn’t journey as a consequence of sickness.


“General I’m happy with the efficiency and I say this not simply medal haul. Amit was in terrific type, Vikas was simply unfortunate to get injured within the semifinals and Ashish additionally gave a superb efficiency though he did not win a medal,” Nieva stated.


“In fact there are small points to be addressed, extra particular to people and we’ll do this within the few weeks remaining earlier than the Video games. I can say we’re 80 per cent prepared, we’ll type the remaining 20 per cent,” he added.


The small points that Nieva referred to included shut vary boxing and physique punches.


“There’s definitely huge enchancment and it’ll proceed earlier than we’re completely prepared for the Video games,” he stated.


On to particular person performances and Nieva felt Panghal was extremely good all through regardless of lacking out on a second successive gold.


The diminutive Haryana-boxer misplaced an edge-of-the-seat closing to outdated foe Shakhobidin Zoirov of Uzbekistan in what was a repeat of the 2019 world championship closing, which had additionally resulted in Zoirov’s favour.


The Indian received the 2 of the three rounds however Zoirov had simply the appropriate mixture of scores from particular person judges to scrape by way of 3-2.


“I believe that is at par together with his greatest performances. He was unstoppable and seemed actually good. All of us thought he received that closing,” Nieva stated.


After which there was Sanjeet (91kg), who upstaged Olympic silver-medallist and event legend Vassiliy Levit within the finals. Kazakhstan’s Levit was trying good for his fourth gold medal on the occasion however was stopped by the tournament-debutant Indian.


“Sanjeet has great constructive vitality. He has labored onerous to get the place he’s and his enhancements are very clear. There have been sure weaknesses in his sport, particularly at shut vary however he has improved rather a lot,” Nieva stated.


India discovered its personal event legend in Shiva Thapa (64kg), who clinched fifth successive medal by ending with a silver.


Nieva was all reward for the Assam boxer, who can also be a world championship bronze-medallist.

(Solely the headline and movie of this report might have been reworked by the Enterprise Customary employees; the remainder of the content material is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)



Supply hyperlink

Related Posts